Taluka Panchayat Setup :
- Every Taluka Panchayat shall consist of the Elected members of Taluka Panchayat
- The members of the House of People and the State Legislative Assembly representing a part or whole of Taluk , whose constituencies lie within the taluka
- The members of the Council of States and the State Legislative Council who are registered as electors within the Taluka
- One-fifth of the Adhyakshas of the Grama Panchayats in the Taluk by rotation for a period of one year as the Adyaksha of the Taluk Panchayat may determine by lot: Provided that an Adhyaksha who was a member under this clause for one term shall not be eligible to become member for a second term during the remainder of his term of office as Adhyaksha.
AdhyakshaThe Adhyaksha shall be the executive head of the Taluka Panchayat and shall
- Convene, preside at and conduct meetings of the Taluka Panchayat
- Discharge all duties imposed and exercise all the powers conferred on him under the Act and the rules made hereunder and perform such functions entrusted to him by the Government from time to time
- Exercise overall supervision over the financial and executive administration of the Taluk Panchayat and place before the Taluk Panchayat all questions connected therewith which shall appear to him to require its orders and for this purpose may call for records of the Taluk Panchayat, and
UpadhyakshaThe Upadhyaksha of the Taluka Panchayath shall
- Exercise the powers and perform the duties of the Adhyaksha when he is absent on leave or incapacitated from functioning or when the office of Adhyaksha is vacant and
- In the absence of the Adhyaksha or when the office of the Adhyaksha is vacant, preside over the meeting of the Taluka Panchayath.
Functions of Taluka Panchayat
- The Taluk Panchayat shall perform the functions specified in Schedule II:
Provided that where the State Government or Central Government provides funds for the performance of any function specified in Schedule II, the Taluk Panchayat shall perform such functions in accordance with the guidelines or norms laid down for performance of such functions.
Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section(1) or schedule I , it shall be obligatory on the part of the Taluk Panchayat, in so far as the Taluk Panchayat fund at its disposal will allow, to make reasonable provision within the area under its jurisdiction in respect of the following matters, namely:
- Construction and augmentation of water supply works to the level of not less than forty litres per capita per day
- Filing half yearly report regarding the activities of Grama Panchayats within the taluk regarding:
- Holding of Grama Sabha
- Maintenance of Water supply works
- Construction of individual and community latrine
- Collection and revision of taxes, rates and fees
- Payment of electricity charges
- Enrollment in schools
- Progress of immunisation
- Providing adequate number of class rooms and maintaining primary school buildings in proper condition including water supply and sanitation
- Acquiring land for locating the manure pits away from dwelling houses in the villages.