The Trikuteshwara Temple is a beautiful Shiva Temple in Gadag town, Gadag district in North Karnataka. Gadag is famous for its ancient temples mostly constructed during the Kalyani Chalukya period. Gadag has other famous temples like the Veera Narayana temple and the dilapidated but still attractive Someshwara temple.
Trikuteshwara Temple – Architecture
This temple was built around 1050 to 1200, during the reign of the Western Chalukyas. It was designed and built by the acclaimed architect Jakanachari. The main shrine has three Shiva Lingas representing the Trimurthis Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu. The other shrine is dedicated to the Goddess of Learning, Saraswathi. Decoratively carved walls and pillars, wall panels with beautifully sculpted figures, and stonework screens make this temple very attractive.
The main shrine has the three Lingas representing the Trinity on a single base. Pujas are still offered here. Sadly, the Saraswathi idol has been damaged at some period by vandals and so it is not used. Even while broken, the statue is still remarkable and leaves you wondering how beautiful it would have looked when whole. In an adjacent temple, there are three shrines dedicated to Saraswathi, Gayathri and Sharada.