Trikuteshwar Temple, Gadag

The Trikuteshwar temple which is also called ‘Swayambhu Ishwara’. ‘Tripurusha’. ‘Swayambhu Trikuteshwar’ is built in 1002 A.D. This is of Kalyana Chalukya Architecture and Chalukya, Hoysala, Vijayanagara dyanasties gave importance to the development of this temple. Facing to the East, Trikuteshwara stands in the garbhagriha. This is explained as swayambhu Brahma, Vishnu, Maheshwaras’ replica in the ‘Kruthapura Mahathme’.

With minute beautiful carvings, 42 pillars stand Sabhamantapa, antarala and the entrance gates are built. Sabhamantapa, anatarala and the entrance gate doors are decorated with beautifully carved sculptures. Statues of dancing Ganapathi, brahma, Shiva, Vishnu, Karthikeya, Gajalakshmi, Mahakali, Manmatha, Bhairava on both outer and inner walls of the temple attract everyone. Dancing Ganapathi with six hands, Ashta Matrikas in dancing pose, pairs standing with Shivalinga in their palm statues are also carved. These are the very rare patterns of Chalukya and Hoysala art. On the North-East of the sabhamantapa beautiful Nataraja statue stands.